Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'd learn to play the violin

Where do people find the time to do everything they want to do?

I have so many things I want to learn (how to speak German, how to paint, how to cook like they do on the Food Network...), and so many things I'd like to practice more (writing, American Sign Language, working out...), and I hardly have time for any of it. In fact, the bulk of my week is taken up by my job, something that would surely make the bottom of my priority list if I were independently wealthy. With all that I want to do competing with all that I have to do, I mostly just find myself frazzled.

I try to imagine what life would be like if I took the fifty hours I spend commuting to and then working at my job, and spent them doing things that were more fun.

For starters, I'd be fluent in American Sign Language and German.

I'd be healthier (since I could spend more time at the gym, less time starving when I finally get out of work -- leading to less eating of Ramen Noodles and quick-fix meals).

I'd be writing a book instead of goofy blog posts.

I'd paint like Bob Ross.

I'd take a cooking class.

I'd volunteer at the library.

I'd have completed scrapbooks instead of a desk full of half-done art.

I'd own a dog.

I'd take up the violin.

I'd travel more and stress out less.

I'd read more of the hundreds of books on my "to-read" list.

I'd upload my photos in a timely manner.

I'd vacuum. (Heck, I might even dust.)

This morning I woke up at 5 a.m. I wrote a post for my part-time writing gig. I surfed around the Internet. I read for a bit. Now, I'm writing this post. It was nice to have two whole hours to myself to do stuff I wanted to do. Of course, I wanted to sleep too, but I didn't have time for that and everything else! I guess I'll just try to keep squeezing the most out of the hours I have.

And now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to ignore my German lessons, scrapbooking, working out, and photo uploading: I'm off to work.

No comments: